Senior woman with adult daughter going over paperwork

Family Agreements

Living with your adult child? Co-purchasing property with a friend? Or building an extension or granny flat with family? These common arrangements often involve an older person exchanging their property or assets in return for housing and/or care as they age. Learn more about why you should establish a formal family agreement.

Last updated: November 23, 2021
Senior couple looking over documents

What is a family agreement?

A family agreement is an arrangement between an older person and someone else regarding care and living arrangements.

Adult son helps his mother on laptop

Family Agreements Checklist

This helpful checklist is a great place to start. It includes summary information about making Family Agreements as well as what to do when things go wrong and where to seek help.

Senior man with a smile

What should a family agreement include?

A family agreement should include everyone’s contributions, what they expect in return, and what should happen if the a...

Adult son and senior mom sitting on couch

Steps to take to arrange a family agreement

There are many steps to arranging formal family arrangements. This outline will help you understand where to start.

Senior woman looking the camera

When things go wrong

Unfortunately, family agreements don't always work out. This can leave an older person in a difficult position, find ou...

Senior man talking

Centrelink and the age pension

Older people can receive the age pension through Centrelink/Services Australia, with the amount received dependent on t...

intergenerational family cooking in the garden

Intergenerational households

Many intergenerational households come about as a cultural norm or a way of providing care for ageing parents or grandc...

Grandmother and grandson

Contributory Parent visas and migration to Australia

While many people enter into family agreements to ensure they receive some extra support as they age, often a driving m...

Family Agreements Resources

Find a Service Provider

Need information or advice on elder abuse now?
Need information or advice on elder abuse now?
CALL 1800 ELDERHelp (1800 353 374)
In an emergency call 000

This free number will redirect you to an existing phone service near you. This is not a 24-hour line. Call operating times will vary. A collaboration between the Australian, state and territory governments.